Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dinner in Sorrento

It was a warm Saturday night in Sorrento. There were people swarming the streets socializing, shopping and dining. After a long day touring the beautiful grottos on the island of Capri I was showered and ready to sit down for a scrumptious meal. We found out about a little restaurant in the center of town from a guy that came into our hotel room to change the phones. He raved about this place called the Red Lion. The Red Lion was apparently really popular and had delicious food for a decent price. We thought that if the locals went there then it definitely was worth our while.

When we arrived at the Red Lion the hostess immediately seated the group. We were tucked in the back part of the cozy restaurant and given menus. It took me only about five minutes to choose what I wanted. The pasta with a thick creamy sauce with tomatoes, mushroom, and a shrimp seemed like the perfect mix for my mood.

I waited anxiously for my food to come out. Little did I know that it wouldn’t show up for another hour. The service was horrible to say the least. I understand it was a busy Saturday night, but we didn’t even receive our drinks until after our food came out. We waited a ridiculous amount of time for our food as we watched people who ordered after us eating their meals. We ordered a zucchini pasta dish for an appetizer because we were all so hungry from our adventurous day. The penne was drenched in a white sauce and had cut pieces of the vegetable sprinkled overtop of it. It was surprisingly enjoyable to me because I’m not particularly a fan of zucchini, but maybe I just found it so good because I was so hungry.

When we finally began to eat our meals the thick noodles of pasta in the creamy sauce filled me after only two bites. I ordered the shrimp because I thought that they would be big and fresh, but there were only four tiny shrimp almost the size of a walnut. We all passed around our plates to try what everyone else had ordered. Even though the service was lacking, the food was good and we had fun.

No comments: