Monday, June 16, 2008

Kiosks in Venice


While I was in Venice I noticed how different the little vendors were than the ones that you would normally see in Rome. In the town, which is mostly consumed by water, had kiosks all over San Marco Square that had little objects that tourists would commonly purchase.

Some of the merchandise consisted of t-shirts that said Venice on them. Although it makes sense for it to say Venezia because it was the city that they were being sold in, it kind of made me do a double take since I am so used to seeing Roma printed on everything. Also, one of the city’s trademarks is the Venetian masks. The masks came in all different colors and designs. Some were porcelain and others were made out of a thick wood. The most expensive ones had the glitteriest detail and many feathers. I remember when I was little getting a knock-off Venetian mask when I was went to Epcot in Disney world.

Jewelry was another popular item that vendors using sold a lot of. The earring, bracelets and necklaces of all different colors were bought by tourists because Venice is known for its beautiful green, blue, purple, orange, and red glass. When I went to Murano to see the glass factory our tour guide informed us that in order to make such smooth and colorful glass the oven had to be set a 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. I made sure to buy my fair share of glass jewelry during my stay in Venice.

No comments: